Second Meter Information
Second Meter Installation
- You must call the water department to set up an appointment for an inspection and for the outside reader to be installed. A 24-hour notice is required.
- We cannot guarantee water turn-off when your plumber is on site waiting. A 48-hour notice is required to have water shut off. This is to assure the valve can be located and that it is operational. The homeowner can notify the water department and a shut-off key will be left overnight or for the weekend.
- The existing gate valve before the tee must be removed. There must be a gate valve on each side of the water meters.
- All outside faucets will be connected to the newly installed second meter.
- If the meter is installed backwards, you will be charged for the cost of an additional meter.
- We advise you to connect water driven back up sump pumps to the second meter to avoid sewer charge.
- There shall not be any cross-connection between the first and second meters.
- In the event of tampering or misuse of this meter, water will be turned off until the problem is solved or water use privileges will be discontinued.
- There will be a 60-day deadline from the date the meter is purchased to have the plumbing inspected and the meter reader installed. If not, we will notify you with a tag on the door. If the homeowner does not respond, the water will be turned off.
- In the event of non-payment, both services will be turned off until payment is made.
- There will be a minimum charge of $8 per billing quarter.
- If you have any questions, please call the Chesterfield Township Water Department at 586-949-0400, ext. 3.
*Prices are subject to change and do not include plumbing permit fees. Please call the Building Department at 586-949-0400, extension 2 for permit fees.